Lepe Country Park
Lepe Country Park occupies a narrow stretch of land adjoining the Solent, just west of Southampton Water and south of the New Forest, and lies within an area of outstanding natural beauty.
A Park rich in Natural habitats
Lepe Country Park is managed by Hampshire County Council who own part of the site and lease the remainder from local landowners. The site affords superb views of the Solent and Isle of Wight and is rich in Natural habitats. Each year over 600,000 people visit Lepe to enjoy one of Hampshire's most popular Country Parks.
The view along Lepe beach was very different in the 1940s - it was here that sections of the amazing Mulberry Harbour were constructed before being towed all the way to the Normandy Beaches at Arromanche, where they remain to this day. Now there remains little of their presence - the beach is exremely popular, with sandy stretches and great views across to Cowes.
Lepe Country Park is home to a range of wildlife and natural habitats. The mudflats provide an important feeding ground for Brent Geese and many species of birds, including Curlew, Oystercatcher, Dunlin and Plover. The brackish and freshwater ponds to the northwest of Lepe attract Shelduck, Redshank, Moorhen, Herons and Kingfishers, whilst the bushes are used by Nightingales, Warblers and other songbirds. On the shingle beach you might see shells of cockles, whelks, slipper limpets and periwinkles as well as the Turnstone - a patterned shorebird that feeds on the beach. And a meadow provides recreational grass and wildflowers.
- Childrens' play area;
- Licensed restaurant providing a wide range of snacks, drinks and meals. For further details telephone: 023 8089 3681;
- Refreshment kiosk;
- Toilets, including disabled toilets;
- Parking – pay and display;
- Large barbecue grill available for private hire. To book, telephone 023 8089 9108;
- Information center and gift shop providing information, souvenirs, books and leaflets;
- Picnic areas;
- Dog-free and dog-welcome beaches;
- Disabled access – telephone 023 8089 9108 for further details.
For further information, contact the Park Centre on 023 8089 9108.
Lepe Country Park, Exbury, Southampton, Hampshire SO45 1AD