Bramshaw, Brook, Fritham and Furzley
About Bramshaw, Brook, Fritham and Furzley, hamlets nestled in the New Forest National Park.
Towns and Villages
Three Bramshaw Curiosities
Gunpowder and Pond
Schulze's gunpowder factory was responsible for the creation of Eyeworth Pond. A black post box was installed by the Shultze Gunpowder Factory, which from the 1860s until the early 20th century.
Country Pub of the Year 2013
One of the oldest pubs in the New Forest, The Royal Oak Pub at Fritham won the Country Pub of the Year award in 2013.
Until the County of Southampton Act 1894 which placed Bramshaw firmly in Hampshire, the county boundary ran through the churchyard and through the church, which had its nave in Wiltshire and its chancel in Hampshire.
Bramshaw is the main village in the Parish which, until 1895, was within the boundary of Wiltshire. As such, it is only twelve miles from the beautiful cathedral city of Salisbury and a short distance further to famous Stonehenge. The National Trust is responsible, along with the New Forest National Park Authority, for managing the surrounding forest area, including the ancient Bramshaw woods.
Things to Do and See in Bramshaw
- There are numerous beautiful walks and cycle tracks around the Parish including Furzley Common and Stagbury Hill which is the highest point in the New Forest and has wonderful views over the surrounding area. On a clear day you can even see the distant city of Southampton.
- The Rufus Stone at Upper Canterton is a memorial to Rufus (King William II), who was said to have been slain there on 2nd August 1100 and his body buried in Winchester Cathedral.
- There are numerous beautiful walks along Duckens Water, which meanders around Fritham. Eyeworth Pond was created in the 19th Century to provide power for the nearby gunpowder factory. Nowadays it provides a wonderful haven for a large variety of wildlife.
A Little Bramshaw History
Bramshaw was partly in Wiltshire until the "County of Southampton Act 1894" put it all into Hampshire. The ancient church had its nave in Wiltshire and its chancel in Hampshire.
The name Bramshaw probably derives from an Old English word (Bremelsceaga) for "bramble bush wood." or 'bramble strip of wood' and we still have the place names of Bramble Hill and Blackthorne Copse. The hamlets of Brook and Fritham are in this Parish.